Chiang Dao - Mon and Kurt's Restaurant and Guesthouse
Chiang Dao, in
Updated March, 2013
(Our new Restaurant)
Recommended by Lonely Planet Guide Books and also Stefan Loose Guide Books and Tripadvisor
Members of International Backpacker. (Card accepted here)
Mon is a professionally trained Thai/European Cook. She also obtained her Foodsafe training in Canada, along with Certification to safely operate a food processing plant. She adheres to the highest standards of cleanliness and food safety, without compromising the tastes of her delicious meals.
Aside from Mon’s great Western and Thai food, we also brew a great cup of coffee.
We also have a big list of imported wines and German beers!
We have have a beautiful, new guestroom for rent, with wireless (10MBs) Internet.
The Following is the November 2007 Article in Chiang Mai City Life Magazine:
Mon and Kurt's Restaurant and Guesthouse
Chiang Dao is quickly becoming a haven for many expats and tourists who find the changing face of Chiang Mai city just a little too hectic. This German/Thai owned restaurant serves a selection of dishes cooked to perfection - testament to this are the flock of Chiang Dao's foreign and Thai residents who dine here every night. The mushroom soup is delicious, as is their Russian borschtsch (beetroot) soup; the fraenkische bratwuerste (sausage) and wiener schnitzel are both highly recommended as well as being the pride of the German owner, Kurt. Mon, the Thai half of the restaurant, is a prize winning Thai cook who will surprise you at how she can rustle up Thai dishes you've had a hundred times before and make them taste just that bit better. They also serve a range of salads and desserts. As for the boozy elixir, well you are spoiled for choice: Erdinger, Weihenstephaner, Warsteiner imported beers as well as San Miguel and Beer Laos, red/white wines and spirits. Come here for a drive out into the sublime countryside or stay a few nights - Mon and Kurt have two guest rooms, both with ADSL connection and free coffee; they also have a small furnished traditional Thai house for rent (with all facilities) in a quiet area of Chiang Dao. Motorcycles available for daily rental. Restaurant, room and hire rates are extremely modest.
Open 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. Closed Mondays
Located right across the street from Chiang Dao Inn (take the Fang Rd. 107 out of Chiang Mai, through Mae Rim, Mae Taeng and on to Chiang Dao. The restaurant is right downtown, in Chiang Dao, on your right hand side, if you are travelling North)
Tel. 084 1739975 Email: email@example.com
Comments about Mon and Kurt's Restaurant:
The following is what David Unkovich (Author of "A Motorcycle Guide to the Golden Triangle" Guidebook) had to say about Mon and Kurt's Restaurant on his website, http://www.gt-rider.com :
Thank you so very very very much Mon and Kurt.
That was the best food I've had all year, the best sleep I've had in months and so much good
advise on places to go and things to see. I almost want to stay forever.
All the best for the future (chokdee kah)
Thanks :-) Adeena + Teddy
My wife Mon and I have two things in common. A love for good food and beautiful places.
(View from our Room)
Other Personal Links Recommended by Mon and Kurt
Selected Menu items:
(We have over 150 items on our menu, so this is only a small taste...)
· 003 - 2 eggs any style with bacon, ham or sausages, toast, butter and jam 75 Baht
· 001 - 2 eggs any style with toast, butter and jam 55 Baht
· 010 - 2 eggs any style with bacon, ham or sausage, toast butter and jam, freshly brewed coffee and fresh orange juice 130 Baht
· 014 - Cornflakes and Milk 75 Baht
· 012 - Muesli with fruit and Milk 80 Baht
· 009 - Mushroom and Cheese Omelet with toast, butter and jam 90 Baht
· 015 - Mixed Fruit Plate (small / large) 50/80 Baht
· - Fresh
· - Freshly ground and brewed Arabica coffee 40 Baht
· 006 - Ham or Bacon and Cheese Omelet with toast, butter and jam 99 Baht
· 010 - Wiener Schnitzel with mashed potatoes 160 Baht
· 011 - Spaghetti Canadian Style (home made) with garlic toast 115 Baht
· 021 - Chef Salad 95 Baht
· 028 - FraenkischeBratwuerste (2 sausages, mashed potatoes, ) 160 Baht
· 032 - Spaghetti Carbonara with garlic toast 135 Baht
· 033 - Schweinebraten (German Pork Roast) with mashed Potatoes or Dumplings and gravy on top 160 Baht
· 050 - Chicken Steak in Mushroom Sauce, served with mashed potatoes or German dumplings and vegetables 160 Baht
· 049 - Pork Steak in Mushroom Sauce, served with mashed potatoes or German dumplings and vegetables 160 Baht
· 043 - Fish and Chips (English Style) with salad (in newspaper if ordered) 145 Baht
· 025 - Hamburger, Fries, 120 Baht
· 026 - Cheeseburger, Fries 135 Baht
· 027 - Bacon Cheeseburger, Fries, 145 Baht
· 031 - Bacon Cheese Mushroom Burger, Fries, 150 Baht
· 037 - Ham and Egger Sandwich with Fries 95 Baht
We also serve over 100 different Thai dishes that are prepared fresh as you order them, including the following. For a look at our complete menu, please visit our restaurant.
· Pad Kapao (Stir fried Thai Basil with beef, Pork or Chicken/Seafood 75/90 Baht
· Pad PriauWaan (Stir fried mixed veggies and pinapple with pork, beef or chicken in sweet and sour sauce 80 Baht
Pad Thai (Stir fried noodles with pork, eggs, dry shrimp, sprouts and green onions 55 Baht
We also have a Thai Food lunch menu (11am - 1pm only) with dishes, that come with rice 55/60 Baht pork, chicken, beef/seafood dishes
Beer Chang sm/large 40/60 Baht
Beer Archa (large) 60 Baht
Beer Leo sm/large) 45/70 Baht
Beer Singha sm/large 55/90 Baht
Spy Cooler 60 Baht
Beer Heineken sm/large 65/110 Baht
Erdinger Dunkel (German Wheat Beer) 170 Baht (small 110 Baht)
Paulaner German Beers (lots of variety) .33Ltr/.5Ltr 125/185 Baht
Weihenstephaner German Beers half liter, lots of variety, 170-190 Baht
Warsteiner (German Beer) 110 Baht
Bottles of Wine Red or White, Imported 540-950 Baht
Jack Daniel's 150 Baht
Matti Sambuca 90 Baht
Jaegermeister 195 Baht
Quevo Gold Tequilla 130 Baht
Russian Vodka 90 Baht
Famous Grouse 90 Baht
Benmore 70 Baht
Johny Walker Red 100 Baht
Johny Walker Black 175 Baht
Chivas 180 Baht
Regency 90 Baht
100 Piper 70 Baht
The above are only a few examples of over 150 food and drink items. We also serve "Highballs", such as Gin/Tonic, Vodka Orange, Rum and Coke, Scotch and Soda, etc.
We look forward to seeing you in our new, convenient location, across from the Chiang Dao Inn Hotel. Here you can enjoy the Tuesday Morning Market, enjoy a reasonably priced, good massage, across the Street, rent a bicycle to go visit local hilltribe villages, Chiang Dao Cave, the hot springs or the local Mountain Temple. Across the street, from our restaurant, you can rent a motorcycle taxi, from 50-70 Baht (one-way), to the Cave area, if you don't want to bicycle.
Mon and Kurt